Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Family Movie Night: A Christmas Carol

After touring Disney’s Official Christmas Carol Train in Atlanta last October, we couldn’t wait for the movie to come out. Though it came out in November, we’d planned to watch it in Ohio when we visited for Christmas. We were all disappointed to discover that although it was playing in Alabama, it wasn’t playing up North. Once we got back to our camper and Christmas was over we didn’t really think about it and decided since we’d missed it, we’d wait for the release of the DVD. And then, today while browsing through the Sunday paper I was surprised to see an ad for a local theater that has movies for $1 on the weekend! And guess what was playing? The Christmas Carol! Well it didn’t take much to convince us to go. So we loaded up and off we went. Excited as can be.


As thrilled as we were, our enthusiasm was short lived. Though the preview of the movie we’d seen in Atlanta was incredible, I had a hard time getting into the movie and spent the first part of the movie waiting to get into it and the second part of the movie waiting for it to end. I know this sounds really bad and I don’t know if we just really blew this up in our mind to be something better than it was or if the movie really wasn’t that good. I’m still trying to convince myself that it wasn’t that bad and think that I may watch it again to see if I feel the same.

I’m not sure if the theater had issues or if it was indeed the movie, but I had a really hard time understanding what the characters were saying. I thought this problem was unique to me, but when we discussed the movie on the ride home, we all agreed that it was a good thing the book was fresh in our mind or we wouldn’t have known what was going on. We think the problem was that the background music was so loud and the characters were to soft spoken and were sometimes drowned out.

My husband also complained that the screen moved a bit too much because it hurt his eyes on occasion.

There was a family that left towards the beginning of the movie but I assumed that was because their kids were all pretty young and some of the scenes were pretty intense and a bit scary. But then, if you’ve read The Christmas Carol you may suspect that parts of the movie may be a bit suspenseful.

On the positive side, the animation is incredible. The attention to detail is evident throughout the entire movie and I did find myself marveling at all the technology that is available nowadays. When we were in Atlanta we were able to see all the work firsthand that went into the production. Disney certainly spared no expense. I wish I could show you the pictures I took on that trip, but my memory card reformatted itself. If you don’t know what that means, it means they were deleted! I do have the beautiful morph pictures you've seen throughout this post as a reminder of our day. And I think they are lovely, if I may say so myself.

Now I have a question for you. Did you watch this movie? If so, please share your opinion and let me know if you think a second viewing would be more agreeable.

8 comments:

  1. I have heard alot of comments along the same lines as yours about this movie. We will wait for dvd, mostly because hubby wants to see. I am not such a big Jim Carey fan.
    Blessings
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the post. Best wishes.

    Kindest regards,
    Brook

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for commenting on my blog and for following along! I am following yours too.
    I havent seen this movie, but we did go see Sherlock Holmes the other day and I dont know if it was the movie or the theater, but it was difficult to hear what they were saying, but the background noise was super loud. My poor husband has a hard time hearing out of one ear and with Robert Downey Jr's english accent and the sound problems, I dont think he heard anything but the music/noise. Poor thing! He just wasnt impressed lol. Oh, love the faces in pics! Great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must say, that first picture freaked me out on my Google Blog Feed.LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to admit, in the Google Reader, those images are pretty frightening! It almost freaked me out and they are my pictures! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't seen this one, but would like too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think if you want to watch the movie, now you should just wait for the DVD. Rent it from Redbox, if you don't like it you're only out a buck plus tax.

    My kids really want to watch Sherlock Holmes...we'll have to keep an eye out. But we'll probably wait for the DVD as well. If there is the slightest chance that I can't hear it...I'll wait. My hearing doesn't tend to be that great anyway.:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. We went and saw the movie. My daughter (9) went with my sister and her daughter to see it in 3D. I went with my mom (who is blind in one eye and can't see 3D) to see it without the 3D effects. We all loved it and did not have any trouble with the sounds. I think that might have been just part of your theater. I'd give it another try, but maybe wait and see it on DVD.

    My daughter & I read the book (along with my sister & niece) and it was a wonderful introduction to Dickens for the girls. And, we were amazed at how true to the book the movie was!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you think! Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! Blessings!:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...