Thursday, January 28, 2010

Easy RV Decorating

I love to decorate. That's probably one of the things I really miss about having a house. I no longer have a place to display all the fun decorations that I see when I'm out shopping. I can't complain, if I don't have anywhere to display it, I don't need to buy it which means, it saves my husband money. He won't complain about that. Really. Ask him.

But he does complain about something, the fact that our house looked, well... homey.I spent a great deal of time selecting color for the walls and trim, dragging him to furniture stores until I found just what I was looking for and choosing each item that would grace my walls, coffee table, wicker stands and mantle carefully. Think shabby chic, white accents and flowers...everywhere. I proudly displayed pictures with scripture and symbols of my Christian faith. And I had photographs of our travels and favorite family moments all over the place. That's what my husband misses. He misses the fact that our new home, doesn't resemble our old home.

I am trying to decorate. If you've been reading this for awhile, you may have even seen some of my Motor Home Makeover posts, which I will have more of. I promise. Just as soon as I catch up on all this sewing.

So, it is coming along, but when it comes to wall space, I am really picky. I don't have a lot of it so I really want to maximize what I do have and I've not been able to find EXACTLY what I have in mind, so I've done without. Yeah, I'm funny like that, but I think I've found a temporary solution that is actually growing on me. It's lightweight, cheap, functional, personalized and glass-free, a plus when traversing over rough terrain.

While shopping at a thrift store, I found a brand new ribbon/memory board for two bucks. As soon as I saw it I knew that it would be perfect for displaying some of the travel memorabilia that is currently stored out of sight in our memoir box. So I began filling the board with ticket stubs, brochures, postcards, and patches from some of my families all-time favorite destinations.

I can switch these out whenever I want to and add to it in seconds but the biggest perk for all, is on the days that we wonder why we are doing this, when we haven't seen anything neat for awhile, when it's rained for two weeks straight and we've not been out of the camper, when we're really getting on each others' nerves, this simple decoration serves as a reminder of all the wonderful memories that we've experienced as a family on the road. And for a little while, everything is better.

How do you display the things you love?

Don't forget to stop by tomorrow and link up for my first ever Field Trip Friday! I'm so excited to show you the field trip we went on today!

3 comments:

  1. I want an airstream. I want to gut it and make it all shabby chic. My husband would rather sleep in a tent then sleep in a shabbied out airstream. But, I'm still dreaming about it. It would make a wonderful play house for our daughter don't you think? If only we had millions.

    Now, about this make-over idea. It is charming. I love it and think it will be necessary to keep needed things at hand. You prob. don't have much counter top space so I'm thinking using the walls is very smart!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A shabby chic Airstream- how perfect! That would make a wonderful playhouse! Growing up my grandparents gave my aunt an old van to use as a playhouse. I loved it when I was permitted inside- it was total hippie style. Imagine tie dye, pillows all over the floor with beads hanging down. Too cool!:)

    Back to shabby chic, I did try to talk my husband into allowing me to paint everything white and decorating that way but he just wasn't going for it this time. Maybe next time!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a cool idea! Looking forward to your post tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you think! Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! Blessings!:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...