Monday, December 21, 2009

U.S. Space and Rocket Center- Adventures in Alabama

One day I may transfer all my posts from my original blog here, but in the meantime I thought I'd link to some of my older posts so if you happen to be passing through Northern Alabama, you won't miss a thing.

Huntsville, Alabama is known as Rocket City U.S.A and with good reason. This is the site where Dr. Wernher Von Braun and a team of German scientists settled in Huntsville to build rockets and help launch the United States to the moon during the Cold War. It was also Von Braun's idea for the state of Alabama to create a park similar to an amusement park that would educate its visitors about space and science and allow the public a glimpse of what was being designed and manufactured at the nearby Redstone Arsenal; resulting int the U.S. Space and Rocket Center.

With over 12 million visitors since opening in 1970, the U.S. Space and Rocket Center has grown into the largest and best known tourist attraction in Alabama and is known for the phenomenal Space Camp program, which I dreamed of attending after watching the movie by the same name when I was young. Located directly off I-565 at exit 15-just look for the huge Saturn V rocket; a distinct landmark that can be seen for miles.

You can read about our visit here.

2 comments:

  1. ooh I would sooo love to have gone there! You go to such cool places.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tonya! Wow your blog has a lot of stuff! I'm borrowing the US map from your site, thanks! thanks also for checking in on us and the comment, its always good to hear from other FOTR! Blessings over the holiday season... I'll peek in often... -Cheryl

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you think! Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! Blessings!:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...