Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Motor Home Makeover: Phase One

When we purchased our motor home seven months ago, we were grateful to find one in our price range...CHEAP...that was mechanically sound and something we weren't embarrassed to drive down the road. With that said, there were still a few aspects of the camper that I knew from day one that I would change if ever given the chance...meaning if I could somehow manage to talk my husband into the work and expense that doing so would entail.

Talking my husband into any major changes is a difficult feat. Not that he isn't open to making those changes but let's just say that in the past I have had a tendency to...ummm...frequently change my mind when it comes to decorating. Southwestern, County, Traditional and Shabby Chic, you name it, I've decorated accordingly. I used to love watching all the design shows on TLC and HGTV. I've even taken Interior Design classes that I loved; so to say that I found a few things in the camper that I wanted to change is not out of character for me. I would have found things in a brand new camper that I wanted to change. After all, this is our home, shouldn't the decor reflect that?

Well, the late eighties, early nineties interior of our camper did not reflect us. Imagine. Pink. Everywhere. Carpet. Furniture. Tile. Pink...or...to be more exact...mauve....Yikes! It had to go and I couldn't wait for that day to come.

Well, last week, my husband and I had a date...to Home Depot...I know, we won't win any awards for the most romantic date idea, but he's a contractor, what can I say? Anyway, while we were shopping, we ran across some flooring that we really liked so we bought a couple boxes and began our project.

My son ripping up carpet


Demolition complete and clean-up begins


Installation of vinyl, wood floor look-a-like begins


And finally, a preview of the finished project


So, what do you think so far?

8 comments:

  1. Looks great - I'm not a fan of mauve either!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! I'd love to pull up all of the carpet in our RV.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the no carpet look, but it is a wee bit colder! I have to make a note to buy some house slippers! Oh, and a couple rugs!:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! So clean and crisp and undated! YES! Congratulations!

    -pajamasmith

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhh Pajamasmith...you got it! Clean...that's exactly what I was going for! Desired result achieved!:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE IT!!! In fact... just about 6 months or so ago my kids and I did this same exact thing!!! lol....

    We have to redo ours tho as we sprung a leak and I hadnt gotten around to sealing it.... go figure.. so at some point I will need to pul it up and make sure there is nothing funky growing underneath it... =)

    Anyways... I found that project to be an awesome family time.. we worked together, and we all were very satisfied with our end result and proud of what we had accomplished!!

    Will be back to see more of your renovations! =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did you use laminate on this or that new overlap-the-sticky vinyl stuff??? We are thinking of trying the vinyl stuff in our kitchen and I wondered how it has held up..

    Looks great! If you decide to hit Michigan, shoot me an email!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi M...we used the overlap-the-sticky vinyl stuff. We'd just completed the makeover when I posted this so it's too soon to say how it's holding up- but so far so good. I love it! My husband throw away the box that the product came in, but we think it's Traffic Master, purchased at Home Depot. Super easy to install and looks great. We did use 4 boxes for our little area- that surprised us. However, my husband did install ours at an angle so we had a bit more waste than you would have if installing it normally. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you think! Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! Blessings!:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...