Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Making Anniversary Travel Plans

In July, my husband and I will celebrate our 18th anniversary! I can't believe it! Not the part that we're still married, but the part that it's already been 18 years. I honestly don't know where the time went!

Anyway, on occassion we like to celebrate by doing something really special. In the past, we've gone to Stan Hywett Hall in Akron, Ohio, had pizza when I was too sick to go out and spent an incredible weekend in Canada in a suite overlooking Niagara Falls.

This year we've been planning a trip to the Hudson River Valley in New York to see the Lyndhurst and the Vanderbilt Mansion. However, I just made one mistake. I asked for recommendations on Twitter of things to do in the area and was pointed in the direction of Alexandria Bay and the Boldt Castle on Heart Island! How neat is that for an anniversary! Now I don't know what to do!

So, how do you plan a trip when you're like me and want to see EVERYTHING in the area? And if you think I'm kidding when I say EVERYTHING, I assure you, I'm not! Oh my. The decisions. When it comes to my husband and I, I have to realize our differences. When he takes time off work, he really intends to relax. He's up for one or two outings a day and after that, he's done. He's simply not interested in anything else and trying to persuade him otherwise only makes him cranky (I learned that many years ago). So, for starters, you have to realize that you simply can't see everything in a weekend or even a week. Pick two or three attractions that you really MUST SEE and go from there. If you can fit in more, that's great, but if not atleast you were able to visit what you considered most important.

So, how do you narrow down the choices when you're planning a quick getaway?

3 comments:

  1. Oh brother... pick 3 options and then have the younger kids vote :-). Does that count? LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charity, When we're traveling as a family, we always allow each family member to chose the one place they want to go and then we decide as a family on any extras. Works great for us! This time it will just be me and my hubbie! I'd love to take the kids and feel guilty visiting new places without them, but after staying in the camper for the past year, they've voted to visit friends. And of course, the time alone with my husband will be nice too!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanna' go!!!! I'm going to cry about it, I think. lol

    Have fun and take LOTS OF PICTURES!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you think! Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! Blessings!:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...