Thursday, February 4, 2010

RV Living: Get Fit in 2010

I'm sure you've heard enough about getting fit and losing weight to begin with, right? It's still new in the year, I'm convinced half of the American population over the age of 25 have some sort of spoken or unspoken resolution to lose weight or get fit. We are no different. My household is on a mission to get fit. Me, I'm on a mission to lose weight. But that's nothing new. I've been determined to lose weight since I was in 4th grade- no kidding. Yep. I was 11 years old when I began yo-yo dieting. Sometimes I lose and sometimes I gain back what I lost. Not this year. Not anymore. Why? I'm fed up.

Of course, I have a dilemma, I've recently discovered that living in a camper and traveling may have it's benefits, however, there are a few ups and downs as well. Mainly, I don't have to climb a set of stairs to go pee eighty times a day. And when I have to do laundry, I don't have to climb the stairs to retrieve the clothes from the bathroom before heading down more stairs to do laundry in the basement. When your home is 10 feet wide by 30feet long, you don't have to exert a bunch of effort to to go from one end to the other.

Okay, so I do have to go to the camp office to do laundry and we do shower in the bath house but both of those are a quick 50 foot walk across flat terrain. Not much of a workout.

I've noticed that though I'm not eating more and I primarily snack on fruit and popcorn (no butter for me, thank you very much) my jeans are getting a bit tight-er. Not at all the look I was going for.

Though some campers have quite a bit of room, ours doesn't. So Wii Fit and all those awesome exercise videos just won't work inside and if you think I'm going to go outside and do Pilate's for all my neighbors to see, well let's just say I only have their best interests in mind when I vehemently say...NO, thank you!

However, where there's a will, there's a way. For starters, we go on walks throughout the day. It doesn't take a lot of effort to walk around the campground and it can be done fairly quickly. So a couple walks around in the morning to get us moving seems to be a good fit for us. In the afternoons, we take a longer walk. Right now we only walk about a mile, sometimes a mile and a half but that's a start. On the weekends, if it's not raining we go hiking with my husband and we always walk much further partly because when you're walking on a trail you're normally distracted by the beauty around you and don't pay as much attention to how far you've walked.

We have a small set of dumb bells we brought from home and a jump rope that we put in use. Sometime in the next couple weeks we hope to get a bike for each of us and a pedometer so we can challenge each other to see who gets the most steps in during the week. Of course we'll have to award something to the winner so we all really work hard.

So, I'm wondering how all you full-time families stay fit on the road, what do you do specifically to stay in shape? Or have you noticed that your waistline isn't as trim as it used to be? Of course, if you're not a full-time RVing family but you have a great comment, I'm all ears!

3 comments:

  1. Hi, Tonya. Thanks for stopping by my site. We investigate cellulite-y fat, but I think losing fatty-fat has a lot of the same principles. I hope you enjoyed nosing around the site. Stop in again when you get a chance. Maybe I'll even be able to convince you to start eating more butter!

    Eat Real Butter, You Know You Want To

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tonya,
    I laughed out loud when I saw that you had left me a comment on my blog! I have read your blog on and off for quite some time now!!!
    The first time I stumbled upon your blog, it was when I was reading up on families who travel most of the time. I LOVE what you do and dream of doing it some day!
    The next time I came across this blog (several months later), I think it was through THL or one of my THL friends' blogs. Now that you have found MY blog, that's 3 times our online paths have crossed, so I thought I should say HELLO!!!
    I'm signed up to follow your blog as well! I hope we can get to know each other online!

    Lord bless you and your sweet family!
    Sarah
    A House on Fire

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you think! Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! Blessings!:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...