Thursday, February 25, 2010

The Best Valentine's Day Present Ever

Last fall our refrigerator quit working. We made due without it for a week or two but running to the store everyday to buy the refrigerated items we needed or the alternative, eating canned goods, was getting old. So we packed up our home and drove it to the repair shop on our way out of town.

Sadly my newly repaired refrigerator didn't last long. By the time I got back from the store a couple days later, it was no longer working! Do I really need to tell you that I was not a happy camper?

Since it was nearly 10 years old, we decided not to spend another dime on repairs. But when it came to a new one, I was holding out for an RV refrigerator, while my husband suggested we take a less expensive route and buy a home model. While we were deciding, a friend of ours graciously allowed us to use their dorm size fridge.

RV refrigerators begin at about $1500 and go up from there. It really wasn't worth it for us to spend that much money when we wouldn't be able to get more money out of our camper when we sell it down the road.

My husband took careful measurements of the space we had to work with and after shopping around for weeks, we finally found one that would fit perfectly at HH Gregg. Unfortunately, it wasn't in stock and even the floor model on display was sold. They had no idea when a new one would arrive. So we looked and looked and just when we thought we wouldn't find one that would work, lo and behold, Home Depot had one left. The floor model, on clearance for $198! Less than what we paid for the repairs on our frig! I did have to give up some storage space that was above the old refrigerator, but I think my husband did a great job building me a new little nook there.

He actually installed it on Valentine's Day and you'd have thought this was one of the years he'd bought me jewelry and roses or some other super romantic gift for all the huggin' and kissin' he got throughout the day. All I had to do was get a glimpse of my new fridge and I was all over that man of mine! I'm not sure he'll ever be able to top that gift.

New dishes and a new frig, what more could a girl ask for?

5 comments:

  1. That is awesome! I love a good deal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like the year I got a shrub for Mothers Day! But it was something I had wanted for a long time....and now it grows so beautiful every summer next to the porch and I get to enjoy it every year (plus, unlike candy..it doesnt add the the weight Im trying to get rid of lol).
    congrats and enjoy (both the fridge and the hubby!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was excited just reading about it. Totally understand your glee. I would have been happy too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trying so hard not to envy you right now. If there was one appliance I'd change in my RV-it is the fridge. We do have room above ours to fit in a bigger one. Hmmmmm...maybe if I find a clearance $198 one....;P

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is great!! I love deals. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you think! Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! Blessings!:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...