Friday, April 22, 2011

The Homeschool Mother’s Journal~ Week 14

The Homeschool Mother’s Journal meme is hosted by Homeschool Sue a.k.a. The Homeschool Chick. You can click the link or the button below to see how you can participate or to read other link ups.  

The Homeschool Mother's Journal

In my life this week…

We’ve been BUSY! Although that’s becoming a regular part of life. We’ve had a great week- but I have fallen a bit behind in the housework department. That doesn’t make me happy. :(  

In our homeschool this week…

cpr mannequins

We’ve been very productive. All three of my kids earned their CPR/AED/Basic First Aid certification in an eight hour class that they attended at our local Red Cross Chapter on Monday. They did a great job and my kids, who have never been in a traditional school setting, were very appreciative that they aren’t forced to sit in those hard chairs for hours on end!

At home they’ve been plugging along through the book work. We’ve loved using the Nutrition 101: Choose Life! curriculum, my son is still making headway through ALEKS math (which I’m thrilled with), and I started my daughter on some remedial math drill.  She wasn’t too happy about that, but sometimes it’s necessary to take a step backwards.

My kids have been reading quite a bit. My 16 year old has been reading about Pearl Harbor and WWII (one of his favorite subjects), my oldest has been reading comics this week (at least he’s reading, right?) and my daughter dove in to The Phantom of the Opera.

Places we’re going and people we’re seeing…

After church on Sunday we are going to go camping. I can’t wait to hit the hiking trails and see some of the wild flowers that we’ve been missing.

My favorite thing this week was…

My oldest son got his license- he was really pleased. Of course now he doesn’t want to drive, but in his words… “it’s nice to have that option”.

The fact that Nickolaus doesn’t want to drive is really aggravating Josh who wants to drive everywhere. The good news for Josh is that he’s been able to drive around in his Nickolaus’ Camaro. The fact that Nickolaus allows Josh to drive as often as he does truly amazes me- Josh just has to pay for his own gas. I guess that’s a pretty good deal.   

What’s working/not working for us…

This isn’t exactly homeschool related but I’ll share anyway.  We’ve been busy. The boys have started football training for the fall season and their team is pretty intense. Practice starts around 5 and isn’t over until 7- right smack in the middle of our meal time. Family mealtime has always been a big deal to us. My husband is starved and food is always done when he gets home from work,  but now we aren’t able to eat together. I’m thinking that I’m going to begin making some crock pot meals on the days the boys have practice so if you can point me towards a yummy crock pot recipe, I’d appreciate it. We won’t be able to eat as a family but at least everyone will have something warm when they do eat.      

Homeschool questions/thoughts I have…

We’re planning a trip out West that we are really looking forward too. I’d love to know if anyone has a favorite living book suggestion on the subject of Lewis and Clark, the Westward Expansion or the Wild West?

A photo, video, link, or quote to share…

travel trivia 003

This isn’t a great picture with all the light streaming in through the window, but I love it anyway. We love books and when my kids were younger we read thousands of picture books- I think we read like 1200 for kindergarten!  I found one of their favorite bedtime stories, How do Dinosaurs Say Goodnight, and though my kids are “too old” for a bedtime story, they really wanted me to be the one to read this book to them, just like old times.

Just a reminder that your kids are never to old for you to read to them. We don’t make it a point to read picture books but hey, they loved it.

Until next week ~ Happy Homeschooling!

Would you consider stopping by Circle of Moms and voting for Live the Adventure as one of the Top 25 Homeschool blogs? I’d really appreciate it. :)

4 comments:

  1. HillbillyhandiworksApril 22, 2011 at 2:07 PM

    Popping over from Jorge and Evielynne...we homeschool and your blog looks interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. have fun camping this weekend! sounds like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE that they wanted you to read that book to them. Sometimes I dread the teenage years, but you seem to have such a good relationship with your kids that it makes it seem possible!
    Happy camping!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to think teenagers were evil...and then my kids grew up and I discovered how much fun they could be. You have great things to look forward to as Crumpet gets older. Savor every moment. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you think! Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! Blessings!:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...