Saturday, June 4, 2011

The Homeschool Mother’s Journal ~ A Week Just for Mom

 

The Homeschool Mother's Journal

In my life this week…

I went on my second Tweet-up, had a great time and was missed by my family. I wasn’t gone overnight so it was nice to know that even though my kids are teenagers, they still miss having their mama around! That just makes me smile.  

In our homeschool this week…

We’ve been revisiting some of the curriculum and resources that have spent too much time on the shelves. I have a laundry basket full of materials that I had “intended” to use that somehow were pushed aside. Not anymore. I’ve decided that I will try not to make any purchases until we make a dent in our pile.

It may take awhile.  What do you think?  

Places we’re going and people we’re seeing…

You’d think people would have plenty of time now that ‘school’ has wrapped up for many people. Including us.  It’s been hard to hook up with anyone the past couple weeks but this week we’re changing that. My son will begin summer football, we’ll meet up with some other families with teens for a hike and we’re heading somewhere really fun next weekend. But you’ll have to wait to read about that….

My favorite thing this week was…

Was attending a Tweet-up at the US Space and Rocket Center. Don’t worry, I’ll tell you all about it in the days to come. Just let me say that if you have ever considered sending your children to Space Camp, DO!

What’s working/not working for us…

My kids have actually enjoyed using the materials we already have on hand. Some of the material is more of a review- but I know my kids “get it” and don’t we all worry about that from time to time?

A photo, video, link, or quote to share…

At the Tweet-up, we had lunch with Tim Pickens and he shared his latest venture; to land a robot on the moon while sending images back to Earth.  He’s a brilliant man and has fun creating rockets and similar toys in his man cave. The rocket bike is one result of his tinkering. Check out this short video (you just may not want to read the comments).    

My kids are thinking this would make a fun summer project.

Until next week ~ Happy Homeschooling!

Don’t forget to stop by The Homeschool Chick to be encouraged by other journal entries or to add one of your own.

What kind of fun do you have planned next week?

6 comments:

  1. I did that too! LOL I gathered up the curriculum and workbooks I had on shelves in the "library" (i.e. bookcases in the playroom) and those in my "current" school shelves and have been replacing them on the current shelf with the hopes of using more of them. Some of them have been used by my older son, but not by my daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol! I knew I couldn't possibly be the only homeschool mom on earth not to
    use all the materials she's bought. :) My kids have actually enjoyed going
    through the resources I pulled off the shelf and out of boxes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am known as the curriculum queen...and now we are moving so I am getting rid of so much! It is heartbreaking for me to be getting rid of all the preK and K stuff...but my youngest is going into 2nd grade, so I have to face reality!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Phyllis, I can so relate to you! When we moved I had a curriculum sale at
    my house- was great because the money came in handy, but it was so hard to
    let go of things that "we may use down the road". I couldn't bring myself to
    sell our favorite things from when the kids were younger so I gave those
    items to friends that I thought would appreciate them. :) I did manage to
    keep a few favorites tucked away in storage. Some things I just couldn't
    bear to part with. :( Congratulations on your move! That's good news, right?
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! I am a new follower to your blog! I found your blog from the list for the Tree Top Tweetup coming up this weekend! I look forward to meeting you then! 

    http://atlantamilitarymom.com

    Mandy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mandy, Thanks for stopping by and following along on our adventures! I am
    soooo looking forward to the Tree Top Tweetup! I've heard great things about
    Callaway Garden and can't wait to see how wonderful it is for myself.
    Looking forward to meeting you! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you think! Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! Blessings!:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...