Thursday, May 5, 2011

The Homeschool Mother’s Journal ~ Week 16

I missed posting last week. If you’re curious, you can read this post. I’ll give you a hint, it starts with T and ends with O.

The Homeschool Mother's Journal

In my life this week…

I’ve felt scared, anxious, helpless, angry, sad, empathic, grateful, thankful, hopeful, and joyful. It seems as though my emotions have really run the gamut.

In our homeschool this week…

We managed to learn a lot of life skills, like what to do in case a tornado (or multiple tornadoes) hit your area and you loose power for nearly a week.  

After we regained power, my middle son drove to Game Stop to buy a new add on pack for Call of Duty Black Ops. He was really excited because the new extension was just released. Once he got home the Xbox wouldn’t accept his code. He called Game Stop and explained the problem and they told him he’d have to call the people at Xbox that they couldn’t help him. So he did. He was on the phone for quite awhile when they told him that Game Stop had made an error and that he’d have to call them back and ask for a valid code. So he called, straightened it out, and was pretty pleased with himself.     

The boys also began driving to football practice so they’ve been doing some maintenance on my oldest son’s car. This week, while my husband was working, they drove to AutoZone, bought new headlights and installed them without assistance. When one of the headlights didn’t work, Nickolaus tracked down the problem and remedied it.  Yep. My boys are really growing up.

Places we’re going and people we’re seeing…

Since we had no power and my husband couldn’t work, we took the opportunity to head to Knoxville for two days to see my great nephew. He’s such a cutie.  

baby 164

My favorite thing this week was…

Even though we didn’t have power at home, we all realized how very fortunate we are.

I enjoyed the slower pace. Talking without the interruptions of the TV, internet or xBox, reading, napping, playing games by candlelight.  I was reminded of some of the things that I loved most from our camper days- things seemed much slower paced then. 

monopoly game by candlelight

What’s working/not working for us…

Volunteering. We’ve tried several times to aid our community by volunteering in the clean up efforts. The good news is that there has been an influx of volunteers. The bad news is that the officials are only accepting help from organized groups and so far many of the groups require you to be 18 which means the kids can’t help. We’re trying to figure out another way to help. 

Homeschool questions/thoughts I have…

Let’s talk homeschool sports for a minute. Right now I’m having a love/hate relationship with football.  I think it’s a great opportunity but by does it wreck havoc on our evenings.

Do your children play sports? Do you find that sports is disruptive of your home life? What adjustments have you made to keep things running smoothly?

A photo, video, link, or quote to share…

On the way home from Knoxville we passed through the Cherokee National Forest. Beautiful.  

CHEROKEE NATL FOREST

Don’t forget to stop by The Homeschool Chick to read other journal entries and to add your own.

Until next week ~ Happy Homeschooling!

9 comments:

  1. I like this idea of the Homeschool Journal. Another idea I might just have to incorporate.


    One can have fun or a family can have fun even when the power is out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AdventuresinHomeEducatingMay 6, 2011 at 1:12 AM

    Learning life skills is a great thing! The baby is such a cutie! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you are safe. I just came back from TN your picture is BEAUTIFUL

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried sports when my 13 year old was a little guy. It's not for us. He does play Black Ops though. And has the add on. Which means when his public school friends have a day off from school they are all in my basement playing xbox.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a son who plays competitive soccer and a daughter that dances every weekday. We stay up later than some families, but I'm finding that we're not up any later than most of my IRL homeschooling friends' families. We each gotta make a life that fits our family, right?

    Many blessings for next week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We don't do homeschool sports. Yet. I have a little boy (3) and I have a feeling that football may be in our future. Hope you can figure something out and post about it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your boys ARE growing up! Wow. You must be so proud, Tonya.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes,Sue, they are growing up and each day I am acutely reminded that there
    reliance on mommy is coming to an end.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad you're safe, too! We were fortunate in the recent tornadoes which went through Alabama to not be affected by them personally. It sounds like your family had a good week anyway, playing games by candlelight and visiting family.


    About sports, so far, no, we don't participate, though we're talking about track team for my son next year. We do, however, participate in scouts. It does take time, yet it is worth it!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you think! Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! Blessings!:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...