Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Two Simple Words

Veteran’s Day is just around the corner.  How do you show the Veteran’s in your life that you appreciate them and the sacrifices they have made for our country and the freedoms we enjoy?  Here is a teaser from a post I wrote for this week’s article at the Homeschool Blogger’s Company Front Porch, I hope that you’ll stop by and check it out.  

I have a confession. Until the past few years, I’ve not really thought much about Veteran’s Day. Terrible. I know. It’s not that I didn’t teach my children that it is an important day, I’ve tried to tell them about the men and women that have served our country, past and present. It just didn’t mean much because personally, other than my grandfather who passed away eight years ago, I didn’t really know anyone who had served in our military and sometimes I tend to take our freedoms for granted.

My grandfather spent WWII stationed on a boat in the Pacific, he never, ever talked about his experience in the Navy. Frankly, it seemed as though he didn’t want to be reminded of that time in his past when he was a young man. I guess I grew up thinking that it was better not to mention a Veteran’s service, as though they had somehow forgotten the time they’d served and by my mere mention they would somehow be reminded of a nightmare they were trying to forget. I learned to tip toe around the subject as though it were somehow a dark secret or something dishonorable.

You can read the rest of my article, Two Simple Words at The Company Front Porch. 

How will you spend Veteran’s Day?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you think! Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! Blessings!:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...