Thursday, July 15, 2010

Cathedral of the Plains: One of the 8 Wonders of Kansas

trip back from colorado 024 I notice billboards and advertisements along the road. One of the signs that I saw grabbed my attention as I read “Cathedral of the Plains”. As one that has a keen interest in art and architecture, I was certainly intrigued. After all, I remembered all those art classes that I took in high school where we spent so much time learning about the historic European cathedrals. I couldn’t get enough of the towers and spires, beautiful stained glass windows and Gothic architecture. I made a mental note to visit this cathedral on the way home from Breckenridge, and I did.

The Cathedral of the Plains, known as St. Fidelis Church to the locals, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places for its architectural significance. It is a magnificent building, perhaps not as ornate as I had pictured in my mind, but certainly regal for a small prairie town.

The website states that the cathedral welcomes over 16,000 visitors a year. I’m certainly not surprised, as there were two other tourists outside snapping pictures when I was there. Apparently, the church is open for visitors, a fact that alluded me at the time. I certainly would have loved to see the interior of the building. 

St. Fidelis Church is not a true cathedral since a bishop is not seated there, but received the nickname in 1912. It has been designated as one of the religious treasures of the state by the Kansas State Historical Society and was voted as one of the 8 Wonders of Kansas in 2008. 

If you happen to be near Victoria, and need to stretch your legs, make sure that you stop… and… go inside! You’ll find the church at 601 10th St., conveniently located minutes off I-70.

Don’t miss out on seeing the inside of this gem like I did! You can find more information about this beauty at the St. Fidelis Website or by calling 785-735-2777.

Want to see more pictures? You can view them at Live the Adventures’ Facebook page.  

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I had no idea Kansas had so many wonders :) I like the clean, straight lines of the building, it fits the prairies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea about the 8 Wonders of Kansas either until I got home and did some research! If I'd known, I'd have made an attempt to stop at more of them. As it is I did stop at two. I'll share the other one next week- just to keep you in suspense! LOL

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you think! Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! Blessings!:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...