Thursday, September 9, 2010

Our Very First Cruise, Mainly in Pictures

I guess it’s time to quit putting it off and share with you all the nitty gritty details of our trip. I’ve put it off because frankly, I’m just not sure where to begin, so allow me to start by asking YOU a question.

Have you ever been on a vacation that seemed better AFTER it was over?

If so than you will understand how I feel about the cruise.

Though it certainly had some enjoyable moments, it had some equally un-enjoyable ones as well.

Thankfully we all survived and we’ll be able to hopefully laugh about those not-so-fun moments sometime in the future.

Remember when?…. Haha ha ha hehehe…Yeah…that’s what I’m hoping for….

Where to begin? Well you already heard about the turmoil leading up to the cruise so I guess I better share some of the highlights.

Thankfully, we all made it on the ship! I don’t think I breathed a breathe until we all stepped off the gangplank and into the atrium.   

We had fun exploring our new floating accommodations and couldn’t wait to leave the port and get the show on the road…

 carnival day 1 094 carnival day 1 096 carnival day 1 113  carnival day 1 129

Checking out our tiny room where six of us slept…shhh…there were only supposed to be five of us but the kids were out late each night and I didn’t want them to disturb my parents’ in their room. 

carnival day 1 132 carnival day 1 133

My husband, daughter and mother-in-law pretending to be sea sick. Little did we know most of us would genuinely experience sea sickness at some point during our cruise.

Showing off my delicious yam, pumpkin, squash something or other that I had in the dining room the first night…and our adorable towel creature that we found in our room at bedtime…

carnival day 1 136carnival day 1 140

Our cruise started a bit rocky and got much worse as the week went by. Little did we know there was a hurricane brewing in the Gulf which had stirred up some choppy waters. As a result, some of us got really queasy. 

We enjoyed dressing up for dinner our second night on the ship…and I had fun goofing off with the kids afterward…

   progresso mayan ruins 009 progresso mayan ruins 026 progresso mayan ruins 030 progresso mayan ruins 045

We docked in Progresso and exited the ship with my mother-in-law to view some of the Mayan ruins…we enjoyed the Mexican folk dancers and driving through the town of Progresso on our tour bus… 

 progresso mayan ruins 088 progresso mayan ruins 315progresso mayan ruins 313progresso mayan ruins 123 

Hiking to the ruins in the hot, humid tropical weather that oddly enough reminded us of home…not only did we see the ruins but we also saw tarantulas (thankfully dead by the time we got to them) and iguanas though I failed to get a good picture of them. 

progresso mayan ruins 169 progresso mayan ruins 174 progresso mayan ruins 188 progresso mayan ruins 191

After climbing the stairs to the House of the Seven Dolls, we rested by the cenote while the kids dove in and tiny fishes nibbled at my toes...

progresso mayan ruins 255 progresso mayan ruins 259

We loved visiting the ruin and my husband was so thankful to find that the gift shop sold Pepsi!

Our next stop was to Cozumel and we were excited to snorkel with sting rays! That was truly an experience!

 029 030 035 041 049 066

One of the few pictures I got with my dad…who didn’t feel well on the ship…and a picture with my mother-in-law and my mom…

072  173

Beautiful sunset before the choppy seas began. We couldn’t wait to get back on land but it took us nearly three hours to get off the boat. Uggghhh…

We were so happy to get back on dry land that my daughter even allowed her brother to give her a kiss on the cheek! Rare indeed between the two of them…

101202

This about sums up our trip. We got off the boat thinking we’d never take another cruise again…EVER…but have decided that maybe we’ll give it one more try and take a super short trip…but certainly not in hurricane season!   

If you’d like to see more pictures, you can stop by the Live the Adventure Facebook fan page. I’ll be posting them over the next couple days.  While you’re here, did you read about the car trip home

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you ended up with sea sickness ... urgh!

    The photos do look amazing, though. Thank you for sharing. We've not been on a cruise before, and we probably won't get to see that part of the world. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely know what you mean about the trip being better when you get back! Funny, isn't it? Looks like you did have some good times, though!

    Hey, we'd like to feature you next Wednesday at BlogTrotting! Can you have a tour post ready?

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you think! Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! Blessings!:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...