Thursday, July 7, 2011

Save Money on Travel Expenses with RoomSaver Guides

I know when it comes to family travel, the experts normally suggest that you have all your hotel reservations in place before leaving home. I'm all for that but it doesn't typically work for us. In fact, you could say that I've learned to save my family money by not planning ahead.

Of course, there are a few exceptions, like our recent trip to Disney World, I made advance reservations for the leg of the trip that was actually spent at Disney. The rest of the time we kind of winged it. I know. Some of you are reading my words and cringing.

Allow me to explain. I can spend hours, sometimes even weeks, planning our getaways. It never fails that my husband will change things at the last minute. Always. Either he works over on the day we are to leave, he decides not to take as much time off of work or simply doesn't want to travel as far as I've mapped out, or wants to travel further. He tells me he's teaching me to be flexible. I think he just enjoys being difficult.

Because I hate to cancel hotel reservations at the last minute and have learned the hard way that sometimes you can't do so without incurring a penalty, I normally don't make advance reservations. Instead, I pick up one of those hotel discount guides that can be found at rest stops or gas stations along the highway. Once we decide we've traveled far enough, we peek through the guide to see where we can get the best deal.


On our Ohio road trip this past spring, I picked up a free RoomSaver guide and found lodging for my family at a Red Roof Inn for $39.95. Normal prices for the evening were $54.95- I know this because even though I showed the clerk my coupon, he accidentally charged me the full rate and had to adjust it. That one transaction saved me $15.00. Not too shabby.

After that trip I was excited to learn that I no longer have to search out those hotel saving guides on the road. Now I can check out the deals from the comfort of my home before I hit the road at RoomSaver.com or on the road using one of the free mobile apps.

Since I am familiar with the RoomSaver guides and have used them for years, I was thrilled when they asked if they could feature me on their blog. The funny thing is, I was writing a post about their money saving guides at the same time!

Well, that interview is up and available for you to read. I hope you'll take a minute to hop over and nose around their site. I also hope that you'll keep them in mind when it comes to planning your next getaway. How much money do you think you can save?

1 comment:

  1. We often do that too!!  Sometimes you can find really great deals with those!! :)  If I do know exactly where we'll be I use some of the discount sites and book ahead of time but, as you said, sometimes things change and you just don't know how far you'll travel.  These come in very handy for that!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you think! Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! Blessings!:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...